Below you will find our roadmap for new features and improvements to Cloudify, including notes on those currently being worked on.
Cloudify aims for a minor release every 4-6 months with new features, bug fixes, security enhancements, and more. A service release with bug and security fixes is also intended for delivery every 1-2 months. The next release is Cloudify 4.0, expected in March 2017. Items that are marked as In Progress – 4.0 below are included in this release.
- High Availability: HA setup will ensure the uptime of Cloudify Manager in production environments. IN-PROGRESS – 4.0
- Multi-tenancy: The ability to set tenants (user groups) with a Cloudify Manager and isolate resources among them, such that one tenant does not have visibility of, nor the ability to access, data/resources of another. IN-PROGRESS – 4.0
- Pre-bootstrap Verification: As part of the bootstrap process, Cloudify automatically verifies as many variables as possible before actually initiating the bootstrap process. Specifically – IaaS API credentials and quotas, validity of specified parameters such as image ID, etc in order to ensure successful bootstrap of Cloudify Manager. IN-PROGRESS
- Encrypted Data Store: Encrypted key/value store for storing application-sensitive data such as cloud credentials, secrets and configuration parameters, which users can then access via blueprints. IN-PROGRESS
- Manager Settings Configuration: Allows users to easily modify and apply manager configuration elements to Cloudify Manager, during runtime, via dedicated CLI commands and GUI elements. IN-PROGRESS – 4.0
- Encrypted Communication: Agents communicate with the manager via an encrypted channel (SSL). IN-PROGRESS
- RBAC: Allow setting permissions to resources based on users roles, and by that providing a fine-grained access control. Also, with the permissions mechanism the owners of a resource will be able to give specific permissions to specific users in the tenant.) – IN-PROGRESS
Core Orchestration, DSL, and App Modeling
- OASIS TOSCA Simple Profile YAML 1.0: Introduce support for modeling applications and VNFs using standard OASIS TOSCA Simple Profile 1.0 YAML DSL. IN PROGRESS
- ARIA Integration: Utilizing the ARIA TOSCA Orchestration Library for all orchestration and workflow capabilities. IN-PROGRESS
- Service Composition: Consume existing, running deployed services with new application blueprints for service composition and building microservices architecture.
- Application Blueprint Versioning: The ability to upload new versions of application blueprints, and apply them selectively to running deployments.
- Resuming Failed Workflows: Built-in ability for Cloudify Manager to resume from the last successful execution point. This is useful when the workflow fails due to infrastructure allocation error, quotas, etc.
- Scheduled Workflow Execution: The ability to schedule a workflow execution at a future time, such as scaling the number of web server VMs at a certain time of the day.
- Improved Multi-cloud Support: Better support for multi and hybrid cloud environments.
Cloudify UI Framework
- Widget-based UI Framework: Frontend re-architecture with the ability to load dynamic widgets for visualization of Cloudify data and operations, and for integrating with external systems. IN-PROGRESS – 4.0
- Application Service Management: IN-PROGRESS – 4.0
Cloudify Plugins and Integrations
- GCP Plugin: Complete integration with GCP. DONE
- OpenStack Mitaka: Add support for Mitaka release of OpenStack. DONE
- OpenStack Newton: Add support for Newton release of OpenStack.
- vSphere Plugin: Complete integration with VMware vSphere. IN-PROGRESS
- NSX Plugin: Complete integration with VMware NSX. IN-PROGRESS
- Mesos Plugin: Support for Mesos integration for orchestrating and scheduling cluster deployments.
- Azure Plugin
- General Plugin Improvements: Ability to extend and reuse plugins and workflows more easily.
- User Experience: Simplify and improve the day to day user experience of Cloudify Composer. DONE
- SaaS: Provide Composer-as-a-Service which will enable hosting the Composer (on premise or externally). IN-PROGRESS – COMPOSER 2.4
- Manager Integration: Ability to upload composed blueprints to Cloudify Manager. IN-PROGRESS – COMPOSER 2.4
- Imports and Examples Catalog: Improved experience for importing external blueprints, plugins and stencils (node types) to the Composer.
- Source Tab Editing Ability: Enables changing the generated TOSCA code and having it reflected in the topology view.
- Upload Blueprint to Github: Eases the work with Github.
- Improved Ease-of-Use: With functionalities including Undo, Node clone, Multiple selection of nodes and more.
Cloudify For NFV
- VMware VIM: Certification for VMWare VIM components (VMWare Integrated OpenStack, vCloud Director, vSphere, NSX). DONE
- TOSCA/YANG and Netconf/YANG Plugin: The ability to support TOSCA/YANG descriptors to control Netconf/YANG devices. IN-PROGRESS
- Robust IMS Reference Implementations: Clearwater IMS DONE
- Intel EPA certification IN-PROGRESS
How to Get Support
Subscribe to the Cloudify tag on Stack Overflow, and feel free to ask your questions amongst cloud pros.
Feel free to reach out by email with any question you may have – we’re always happy to help.